How can I transfer data from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud?
Since Apple releases new iPhone models every year, the wish to replace your old iPhone device with the latest one is quite natural. But, the switching devices part is itself very scary as it needs a heck of a mess and hassle. You’d be worried about moving data such as contacts, videos, official documents and more from the old iPhone to the new one. There are several ways to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone including with iTunes, iCloud or any content transfer app.
Here in this article, we will walk you through the best alternative on how to transfer data easily from iPhone to iPhone. Let’s get started…
iCloud - Pros & Cons
There are generally two types of transfer that may take place:
When you decide to switch to a new iPhone and attempt to transfer data from the old iPhone to the new one
When you want to share some files between two iPhones
Now when it comes to transferring data between two iPhones, users might initially think of iCloud as the ultimate saviour. Certainly, with iCloud, you can sync up your data starting from an old iPhone to the new one in two different ways. You can either turn on the options under iCloud on the iOS devices or use iCloud Backup to duplicate and move all the upheld files, photos, videos, settings and more to the new device.
Notwithstanding, there are a few downsides of iCloud as follows:
Firstly, iCloud needs to have a stable Wi-Fi connection to sync your old important data. That implies if you don’t have the availability of Wi-Fi connection, you won’t succeed in moving data from old to the new iPhone. Additionally, if the network connection is poor, it will take you a long effort to hang tight for the syncing up of the device.
Secondly, iCloud will ask for a similar Apple ID on both the sender and the receiver devices. If you’re aiming to share data between two iOS devices that use different Apple ID, iCloud won’t help.
Because of the reasons above, you might need to move data from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud. Fortunately, we have got you covered here with a best and free iCloud alternative to transfer data.
Overview of Smart Transfer - iCloud Alternative to Transfer Data
Smart Transfer is a smart, secure and user-friendly application that allows to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone and also supports cross-platforms transfer. The content transfer process is fast and wireless and is possible practically anywhere (as long as you have access to Wi-Fi or Hotspot).
In this guide, we have elaborated the step-by-step process to transfer data from the old iPhone to the new one using the Smart Transfer app.
What Content Types can be Transferred from iOS to iOS?
Steps to Transfer Data From iOS to iOS
1. Turn on your new iPhone. Download Smart Transfer app from iTunes store on your iPhones / iPads
2. Open & Run the app on both old & new device
3. From the dashboard, select “Sender” from which you wish to send the data & the “Receiver” on which you wish to receive data
4. On the sender device, a “camera viewfinder” will appear. On the receiver device, you need to choose a connection network - Wi-Fi & Hotspot
5. If you select Wi-Fi, make sure that both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. Meanwhile, an activation code screen will appear on the “Sender” device. If you choose a hotspotthen, a password will appear on the receiver device. Copy the Password >> Select Settings >> Turn Off WiFi >> Paste the Password (WiFi Password field) >> and Enable the Hotspot
6. Then, go back to the app & press “Continue”
7. Enter the code generated on the receiver device within the space available on the sender device
8. A Network Request to join Wi-Fi will be sent to the Sender. Press Join to proceed further
9. Now, a Connection Request will be sent to the Receiver device. Click Yes
10. Now, Select the content types that you wish to transfer and Press Start. Wait for a while. transfer time may vary depending upon the size of content types. Meanwhile, you can also measure the transfer progress and stop the process at anytime
11. Voila, your preferred content is successfully transferred to your new iPhone. Press Close
Note: For iPhones running with iOS 11 and below, both devices can be manually connected using the hotspot and its password mentioned on the receiver's device. Follow simple steps for iOS transfer as below:
Simply go to Wi-Fi settings on the sender device and select Wi-Fi hotspot as appeared on the receiver screen. Enter the password mentioned on the receiver screen.
Now, press continue on the receiver. By this, an activation code will appear on the receiver device. Enter the code within the space available on the sender device. The connection between two devices is established by sending a connection request from the sender to the receiver device.
When prompted, accept the connection request on the receiver device to continue. Accepting the request would connect the two devices, and you can then proceed with the transfer process.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we have walked you through a comprehensive and detailed guide on “how to transfer data from old iPhone to the new iPhone with using iCloud”. With Smart Transfer app, moving up your contacts, pictures, videos, reminders and calendars is an absolute breeze. Enjoy the journey of switching your old iPhone with a new one :)
Found this blog interesting? Want to know more about SmartIO?
Feel free to explore the rest of the website, or email your queries, comments or suggestions to